In the past, orthodontists used X-rays to get a panoramic view of the teeth and a side view. They used these two-dimensional images to diagnose patients and recommend treatment. Today, new technology allows for cone-beam CT scans, also known as Cone Beam Computed Tomography (CBCT). CBCT in orthodontics offers a 3D scan, allowing for detailed information and a more comprehensive diagnosis.
Dr. George Nicolas and the rest of the team at Nicolas Orthodontics are proud to use the latest technology, including cone-beam CT scans, to offer the highest caliber care and most effective, personalized orthodontic treatment for our patients.
How Do 3D Cone Beam Scans Work?
X-rays are a type of energy that can create an image, allowing doctors to view accurate images of teeth. 3D CBCT devices move around a patient's head, using a cone-shaped beam, instead of the fan-shaped beam of a traditional X-ray. The 3D cone beam scan can record up to 600 different views in a minute, and the device uses a computer to create a 3D model of the area being scanned.
How Is CBCT Used in Orthodontics?
Orthodontists use Cone Beam Computed Tomography technology to evaluate a patient’s orthodontic treatment needs. With an accurate diagnosis, orthodontists can suggest proper treatment for a patient. They can even show the patient what they see on the scans, so the patient can make an informed decision about their care. During treatment, scans can be used to evaluate the treatment's effectiveness and make adjustments as needed.
Cone beam CT scans can be used to evaluate the following:
- Cleft lip and palates
- Surgical plans
- Facial structure
- Dental implant position
- Crowded teeth
- Alveolar bones
- Airways and any obstructions in the airways
- Impacted teeth
- Tongue size and posture
What Are the Benefits of Having 3D Cone Beam CT Scans?
3D imaging is revolutionary in orthodontics because it creates a three-dimensional image of a patient’s teeth on a computer screen. This means:
- More accurate diagnosis: A CBCT scan can be turned around, moved up and down, zoomed in on and easily shared with other practitioners. It provides a more accurate picture of your oral health and gives your orthodontist more information to accurately diagnose you and determine the right treatment plan.
- Enhanced patient comfort: A CBCT scan offers data that before was only available through painful surgery. The scan also takes only about a minute and may mean you require fewer repeat X-rays since one scan gives your orthodontist many views of your teeth.
- Less exposure: With a CT exam, no radiation stays in your body.
- Increased thoroughness: A 3D scan with a CT can examine the soft tissue and teeth together, helping your orthodontist get a better view of your overall oral health.
Why Choose Us?
Dr. George Nicolas and Nicolas Orthodontics have invested in the most advanced I3D Premium cone beam CT technology to ensure our patients enjoy a high standard of care. Patients at our locations in Boca Raton and Boynton Beach, Florida, can enjoy this more convenient and accurate diagnostic tool along with our quality treatment.
Schedule an appointment with Nicolas Orthodontics today. You can also call our Boca Raton location at (561) 431-9085 or Boynton Beach at (561) 760-9460.